Monday, January 10, 2011

Update from Jay Peak

Currently I am at Jay Peak in northern Vermont. It's been snowing since we got here yesterday but surrounding areas are just getting flurries. It's absolutely amazing. The extreme winds today forced the Tram to the summit to close down, so we decided to hike up. The trail on the way up had all it's snow blown right off, but on the way down we took another trail. For the first time in my life I was over my waist in the best snow I've ever seen. Went through it like butter. It gives me chills just thinking about it.

I know the rest of you are back in Jersey and I can't leave you all hanging. You want to know about tomorrow upcoming snowstorm. This one isn't a blizzard, as the winds will not be as strong as the last one. The current NAM is printing out between 0.50 to 0.75 inches of liquid over the area. Typically that means a 6" - 9" inch event. Amounts will be greatest further east, yet again.

Latest NAM QPF:

The snow map:

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of my snow map so I'm just going to post the NWS map. It's pretty close to what I am thinking anyway.


Will school be closed?:

Schools will be closed in eastern areas on Wednesday where at least a solid 8" inches will fall. The timing of the system may allow roads conditions to improve in western areas by Wednesday morning. I would say most schools in the area will at minimum have a delay.

No comments: