Monday, March 2, 2009

What a storm, or was it?

Well, the storm has passed by and my final two day measurement is 11.7" inches of extremely fluffy high ratio snow. Now If I drive just 10 minutes away into Sparta they only received about 5 inches and Mountain Creek got ripped off badly with only a few inches. If I also drive just 15 minutes east of my town (Netcong) then once again we get down to just 5-6 inches of the white stuff. Now as you get toward the coast, reports of around a foot could be found. Now How did this happen?
When I woke up late last night I looked out my window and saw nothing but white. I checked the radar on the computer and noticed a very narrow and intense band of snow reaching from Hackettstown to Netcong to West Milford into New York state. During this band of snow 5 inches accumulated within 45 minutes till it fell apart. Of course the band lasted for over two hours but it's most intense rate was 6.5 inches per hour! Classic Nor' Easter banding, check it out: (Click for bigger image)















Well, now that northwest Jersey has gotten 40"- 55" inches of snow (49.5" in Netcong) it's time to look at my forecasted season totals I post in October and see how much more we need.























Looks pretty darn close if you ask me. I think the coastal locations are pretty much done with accumulating snowfall for the season but north and west is most likely not done just yet. While skiing and boarding is typically over at the end of March in north Jersey the snow season lasts into mid-April, and snow in April is actually common. I've even seen snow at late at May 8th. The season is not done yet, but it's getting very close.

I'm going to leave you with a few pictures of my backyard, and remember winter is not over yet.

No comments: